The Mesothelioma Center online is dedicated to providing those who suffer from the asbestos-related cancer malignant mesothelioma—also known as asbestos cancer—or from asbestos-related lung cancer, or who know someone who does, with the most up to date information and support.
What is Mesothelioma?
A rare and aggressive maligancy, mesothelioma is cancer affecting the lining that surrounds various organs and cavities within the body. Mesothelioma gets its name from this lining, which is called the mesothelium.
This lining exists in several places in the body, but tumors are most commonly found in the pleura (the mesothelial lining of the lungs and chest) and the abdomen. Pleural mesothelioma accounts for most cases of mesothelioma, about two thirds of all diagnosed cases. Abdominal or peritoneal mesothelioma makes up most of the remaining third (pericardial mesothelioma, affecting the lining of the heart, is an exceedingly rare variation).
Perhaps the most striking about mesothelioma, which kills more than 3000 people each year, is that is considered almost wholly preventable. Mesothelioma is almost always directly linked to asbestos exposure. Because of this, mesothelioma is often refered to as "asbestos cancer," however, mesothelioma is no the only cancer caused by asbestos. Lung cancer is also caused by asbestos exposure.
More on Mesothelioma:
- Find out more about malignant mesothelioma, and the various types (pleural and peritoneal) of mesothelioma.
- Learn about the symptoms of mesothelioma. Be sure to let your physician know about any prior asbestos exposure, as the symptoms are not unique.
- Diagnosing mesothelioma can be very difficult, and cases of mesothelioma misdiagnosed are not uncommon.
- Although serious, there is hope in a variety of treatment options for mesothelioma. Many new and novel treatments are currently being tested in mesothelioma clinical trials.
While "meso" (as it is sometimes called) is one of the most aggressive cancers, strides are constantly being made in combating this deadly disease. We encourage you to bookmark this site and return for the latest news and resources important to those suffering from mesothelioma and their families.
Asbestos & Mesothelioma News
- June 10, 2015 - Federal Data Show Millions of American Workers Inhaling Asbestos
- May 14, 2015 - Asbestos Victims and Families Decry Congressional Push to Run Out the Clock on Compensation
- May 13, 2015 - New Estimate Finds Asbestos Kills 12,000-15,000 Americans a Year
- May 12, 2015 - EWG Action Fund Seeks Gov’t Data on Asbestos in Consumer Products
- May 7, 2015 - Asbestos Exposure Scares and Violations Common Across U.S.
- April 30, 2015 - Jury Award in Talcum Powder Case Highlights Serious Asbestos Risks
- April 27, 2015 - House Bill Seeks to Protect Public from Risks of Asbestos Exposure
- April 23, 2015 - Bill Aims To Run Out the Clock on Calif. Asbestos Victims
- April 15, 2015 - Public Health, Environmental Groups Push for Real Reform of U.S. Chemicals Policy
- April 1, 2015 - Senators Seek Answers Regarding Asbestos in Nation’s Schools
- [see mesothelioma news archives]
Mesothelioma Center Staff
Our staff diligently seeks new information and we are available 24 hours a day to help you find answers for your individual situation.
You may e-mail us right now or call us at (412)-471-3980. (Please read disclaimer at bottom of page before proceeding.)