Psychosocial Needs and Exploration of Online Support for Patients With Mesothelioma
Published: December 7, 2016
Primary Outcome Measures
- To describe the psychological needs of patients with mesothelioma. [ Time Frame: 1 year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Patients’psychological symptom burden will be assessed by the set of questionnaires administered in part 1 of the study. scores of the assessments of coping (28-item Brief Cope), social support (6-item SSQ-SF), depressive symptoms (20-item Zung), and quality of life (36-item FACT-Lung).
Secondary Outcome Measures
- the aim is to explore the acceptability and promise of an Internet-based discussion group for patients with mesothelioma. [ Time Frame: 1 year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- The investigators will summarize acceptability and gather pilot data on the promise of the intervention. Acceptability in this study will be assessed through the enrollment rate (percentage of eligible individuals consented and recruited into the Internet-based discussion group). The adherence rate will be the percentage of enrolled patients who complete all virtual group sessions.
- Inclusion Criteria
- Diagnosis of pleural mesothelioma and receiving care at MSKCC
- At least 18 years of age or older
- Able to read and speak English
- Patients who choose to participate in the Internet-based discussion groups, need a telephone, a computer, Internet access, and an e-mail account.
- Exclusion Criteria
- Significant psychiatric or cognitive disturbance sufficient, in the investigator’s judgment, to preclude providing informed consent or participating in a group-format intervention (i.e., acute psychiatric symptoms which require individual treatment).