A Study of Atezolizumab in Unresectable or Advanced Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma
Published: January 4, 2019
Primary Outcome Measures
- Objective Response Rate [ Time Frame: From the time of initial response until documented tumor progression or death, whichever occurs first (up to approximately 4 years) ]
The number of subjects whose best confirmed objective response is a CR or PR, divided by the number of treated subjects
Secondary Outcome Measures
- Progression-free survival [ Time Frame: Baseline up to disease progression or death, whichever occurs first (up to approximately 4 years) ]
The time from the date of the start of treatment to the date of the first documented tumor progression as determined by RECIST v 1.1, or death, whichever occurs first
- Duration of response [ Time Frame: Baseline up to disease progression or death, whichever occurs first (up to approximately 4 years) ]
The time from documentation of tumor response to disease progression as determined by RECIST v1.1
- Overall survival [ Time Frame: Baseline up to 1 year after treatment discontinuation ]
The time from the date of the start of treatment until death from any cause
- Safety of atezolizumab [ Time Frame: Baseline up to 60 days after the last dose of the study drug or until another oncologic treatment is initiated, whichever occurs first ]
The incidence of treatment-related adverse events assessed by CTCAE v4.03
- Health Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) Scores [ Time Frame: Baseline until 1 year after treatment discontinuation or death, whichever occurs first ]
Change from Baseline in Health Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) Scores as Measured by the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire – C30 (EORTC QLQ-C30)
- Patient Functioning and Symptoms Score [ Time Frame: Baseline until 1 year after treatment discontinuation or death, whichever occurs first ]
Change from Baseline in Patient Functioning and Symptoms Score as Measured by the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire Lung Cancer Module LC-13 (QLQ-LC13)
- Inclusion Criteria
- Signed informed consent form.
- Patients have ≥18 years of age.
- Diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma histologically confirmed by certified pathologist.
- Unresectable and/or advanced disease, based on the Seventh Edition American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Cancer Staging Manual. Patients with MPM diagnosed with early disease and whose comorbidities make them ineligible for surgical procedures or who do not accept surgery treatment.
- Patients should have received at least one platinum-based treatment and should have reported progression after at least two treatment cycles.
- Disease measurable as per the Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) modified for mesothelioma.
- ECOG performance status ≤2.
- 12-week life expectancy.
- Patients with adequate organ function
- Patients should have recovered to grade ≤1 in all adverse events associated with previous antineoplastic therapies, excluding alopecia.
- Patients should be able to comply with protocol procedures, at the discretion of the investigator
- Patients of both genders who are potentially fertile should use effective contraceptive methods (barrier methods plus other contraceptive methods) before study entry and during their participation in the study.
- Exclusion Criteria
- Patients diagnosed with another tumor, except for treated cervical carcinoma in situ, epidermoid carcinoma, or superficial bladder cancer (Ta and Tis), or other malignancy for which healing therapy was administered within 5 years before study enrollment.
- Simultaneous participation in another study on a study drug, or if the patient participated in a study within 28 days before study treatment initiation.
- Medical history of interstitial lung disease (ILD), drug-induced interstitial disease, radiation pneumonitis that required treatment with steroids, or any sign of clinically active interstitial lung disease.
- Use of systemic immunosuppressive therapy (use of steroids with a dose >10 mg of prednisone or other immunosuppressive therapy).
- Presence of active autoimmune disease.
- Suspicion or certainty of symptomatic brain metastasis or spinal cord compression. Patients with asymptomatic and stable brain metastasis are eligible for the study.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women. Women of childbearing potential must have a negative pregnancy test carried out within 7 days prior to treatment initiation.
- Patient previously treated with immunotherapy (PD-1/PD-L1 inhibitors).
- Major surgery within 4 weeks prior to study treatment initiation or expected major surgery during the course of the study for non-diagnostic purposes.
- Known seropositivity for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). tory or symptoms of HIV may enter the study only if there is negative serology.
- Active tuberculosis.
- Administration of a live attenuated vaccine within 4 weeks prior to study treatment initiation or at any moment during the course of the study.
- Last chemotherapy cycle within 30 days prior to first treatment administration.
- Any unstable disease or condition that may threaten the patient’s safety and/or the patient’s study compliance.
- Drug addiction or clinical, psychological, or social disorders that may undermine the informed consent validity or affect compliance with protocol.