Primary Outcome Measures
- Pre-treatment Prognostic Algorithm Validation [ Time Frame: 4 years ]
The primary objective is to utilize a novel prognostic algorithm to predict the outcome of MPM patients. This algorithm includes 4 different tests: molecular, radiological, and blood based. It will be performed on 240 prospectively-collected samples. A score of 0-4 will be assigned to each patient and the data will be analyzed by a statistician
Secondary Outcome Measures
- Evaluation of Molecular Tests Base on RNA Expression [ Time Frame: 4 years ]
The secondary objective is to develop new molecular signatures for distinct clusters of mesothelioma samples grouped according to their gene expression. RNA expression data will be compared between one cluster and all the other clusters and using a variety of statistical and bioinformatics tools. Two-hundred sixteen MPM cases with available RNAseq data will be divided into training and test sets to develop and test potential signatures. The signatures that define each cluster with high sensitivity and specificity will then be tested using RTPCR in a cohort of 555 prospective-collected samples.
- All adult patients with a diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma undergoing
- diagnostic pleural biopsy
- and/or VATS resections
- Participants must be 18 years of age or older.
Any patient who is found to be unsuitable for